Monday, June 30, 2008

'Cue and Carravaggio

I just got back from Kansas City. I love that place. It has a little bit of everything. It's a great sports town , no matter how bad the Royals or Chiefs are playing. There are great museums and it's adjacent to wonderful Church history sites. Independence is just East of KC. Both are in Jackson County, Missouri.

My two favorite spots in Kansas City are Arthur Bryant's and the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. I will admit that Arthur Bryant's isn't for everyone. There's a lot of great BBQ to be had in Kansas City and around the country. But for me, there is nothing like the taste of Mr. Bryant's barbecue sauce.

I prefer the original location on 1727 Brooklyn, just down from the 18th and Vine historical section of KC. I think part of the appeal is the abrupt way customers are treated by those who are preparing the 'cue. It's very "Soup Nazi-esque". You stand in line and approach a small window. When you get to the window, bend down and give them your order. Don't ask questions, don't ask for half sizes, know what you want and order quickly. If you're not quick enough, they will let you know. The ribs and sandwiches are well worth the discourtesy. Don't worry about the hygiene aspects either. I'm pretty sure the sauce has some sort of antibacterial properties to it.

The Nelson-Atkins is wonderful. It has a very impressive collection and admission and audio tours are free. In addition to a large sculpture park, there are African, American, American Indian, Ancient (Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Assyrian etc.), European and Asian art collections. There is a wonderful painting of St. John the Baptist in the Wilderness by Michelangelo Merisi, called Caravaggio. If I lived in Italy, I think I would have been known as James Royal, called Jimmy or Jim Shalabim. Mick (that's Michelangelo's close friends called him) didn't follow the standard depiction of John the Baptist. No beard, no halo, no hairy robe. Just a contemplative young man with dirty feet. He's almost brooding. I'm partial to the surly.

Let me tell you, there's nothing like viewing centuries-old art while working on a piece of short end pork ribs stuck between your molars.


1 comment:

Chefwife said...

I'm hoping to come if Chris has students competing next year. Then I will drag him to some of these places. :) I'd love to see them in person.