Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Land of Broken Down Shanties and Dinosaur Bones...Vernal?


We had our first family vacation in Vernal last weekend. For some reason I remember there being more to do when I was a kid. The query at the state park was closed until 2011, I had no clue! We did enjoy the dinosaur museum in Vernal. The hotel was only a couple of decades old and the pool relatively free of wildlife. Luckily kids are easy to please so the evening events of sitting on the bed eating cheetohs and watching Spongebob on cable was pretty cool to them. We had a scenic ride home of the decay of western society and many examples of where welfare funds are allocated. I know I sound cynical but I did have a good time and am appreciating more the sacrifices my parent went through to have family vacations. Case in point, my mom and dad used to read every information tile at the museums we would visit and it would drive Chris, Greg, and I nutts because we wanted to charge ahead. Well karma rears it's ugly head because Colby and Brie felt the need to keep us moving in an orderly fashion or they would create a few new petroglyphs themselves using fingernails and newly put up wallpaper. They were pretty good for the majority of the trip and I feel we had some really great family bonding moments. In the end it was worth the trip!

5 comments:

Diana said...

Excellent good post Donette! I love it when (parenting) karma rears its ugly head.

Jim said...

I look forward to the day when reality comes crashing down upon my children that "family vacations" are no vacation for the parents. Don't get me wrong, they are very worthwhile. They are just a lot of work.

Alan said...

Back in the day when I workde for the American Diabetes Assoc., I had to travel to Vernal once a month. I hated the drive but the volunteers I worked with were great. Price was the same. Bad drive, great volunteers. Provo was another story. It was just an overall bad experience. Alan

Unknown said...

I have not been to Vernal since I was a child. We have not taken the kids there yet, and I'm wondering if I'm a bad dad? Lava Hot springs is another destination from my childhood which we have neglected. We have been inspired by Jim to finally go. Maybe over Labor Day.

Donette said...

My advice, Robert, would not be to go to Vernal. You would be better served by going to either Dinosaur Park in Ogden or the dinosaur museum at Thanksgiving Point.